Tools for laying laminate with your own hands
Tools for laying laminate flooring: what you need for quality work
In addition to the fact that you will need a set of tools for laminate, you need to buy construction materials.
- Film for waterproofing;
- Painting tape (to restrict the jigsaw);
- Ordinary scotch tape of any color for gluing the joints of the substrate, with his help prevent the material from sliding during the installation of the laminate;
- Underlayment for flooring, which will eliminate small irregularities in the screed and act as a thermal insulator;
- silicone sealant that can fill small defects in the concrete surface, such as cracks and gaps;
- levelling compound, which is needed to eliminate pronounced flaws in the base of the floor structure.
If you have the materials for laying the flooring, you can proceed to the selection of tools needed to install laminate. Some of them are already available at home, others can be sought from acquaintances and relatives, and others need to buy.
Laminate is a universal flooring, which is in high demand. Why? It has characteristics such as:
- increased wear resistance;
- reliability and durability;
- universality of use;
- absolute environmental friendliness and no harm to health;
- aesthetic appearance.
Ask yourself the question: how much is the laying of laminate flooring when ordering in the construction firm? per square meter, depending on installation method and conditions. Imagine this: a laminate flooring in a 20 sq. ft.square metre of laminate flooring costs 8,000! And this is only the cost of the work, not counting the material itself. Agree, such uncomplicated work is quite feasible to perform independently: specialized tools for this are not required, and useful tips you will learn from our article.
Tools for laying laminate with their own hands will not need much, something you probably already have, and something you can borrow from friends who have already done repairs.
A jigsaw for sawing material is ideal for laminate flooring, saving time and energy. With an ordinary metal saw you will not make such perfectly straight cuts and neat rounded holes for the radiator pipes as with an electric jigsaw. There is no need to buy an expensive professional tool. But do not buy cheap, because it can not withstand a heavy load. The optimum power is 500 W.
Construction tape measure with a length of 5 meters. Necessary at all stages of work.
A mallet or a mallet for a precise joining and fitting of the lamella strips. Choose a wooden or rubber mallet weighing 0.4-0.6 kg. It can be replaced by a common hammer, which every owner should have. But in this case use the special “doboychik” (a small wooden bar) or unnecessary piece of lamellas.
Angle with a diagonal of 25-35 cm when installing laminate flooring is needed for proper marking and drawing the lines at right angles.
A simple pencil with a soft lead to avoid scratching the sheets when marking. Brand “B” will do.
Angle gauge or protractor will be needed if you decide to lay laminate on the diagonal.
Pros and cons of laminate as a coating
Laminate has a lot of advantages, and it is because of them, and the material has received its popularity. Pros of laminate flooring:
- ease of installation;
- beautiful appearance;
- easy to clean and maintain;
- relative environmental safety;
- a certain resistance to mechanical stress.
However, this material also has disadvantages, which should be considered before deciding to buy this particular coating. Minuses of laminate:
- the material is afraid of water and moisture. In the case of flooding the apartment or excessive wet cleaning, it will deteriorate, begin to swell and flake;
- Good quality laminate is not cheap;
- it is important to choose laminate marked E1 or E0. it is an environmentally friendly material. If the number in the designation is higher, then laminate cannot be used in a room where there are other products that emit formaldehyde. Otherwise, the concentration of this hazardous substance in the air will exceed the permissible standards.
What to saw a laminate or hardwood flooring!?
Laminate is best sawn with an electric jigsaw. I use a jigsaw Makita 4329 power 450 watts and Makita not heavy, conveniently lies in the hand, and enough power to cut through any type and thickness of laminate flooring.
Personally I can hardly imagine my work without a jigsaw. As it is necessary to make cross and longitudinal cuts when laying. This tool is quieter than most other electric sawing tools, it makes relatively little dust, and it’s inexpensive. Article about the choice of jigsaws for jigsaws.
As an alternative, it is possible to buy the cheapest jigsaw for laying laminate in Leroy-Merlin for 461 at the time of writing the review (January 2020) or in Petrovich, the same power of 400 watts, but
I will not put references to hammers, tape measures, pencils. I see no point, it is easy to find and without tips. If you need additional tools, please write in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев. I will answer in person or forward the request.
options for cutting laminate panels
- Wood Saws. A good analog option for lack of other options. Does not require additional costs, since there are in almost every home or can be borrowed from the neighbors. Of the disadvantages. the time of work increases at times due to the manual drive. Especially the longitudinal sawing when installing the last row of laminate boards.
- You can use a parquet saw. Builders. “jack-of-all-trades” often use such a tool. I don’t use it. very noisy, much more dangerous to use, lots of dust.
- angle grinder (angle grinder). about the same as a parquet saw. Slightly less hazardous, but more fouling.
- Guillotine for cutting laminate flooring. I do not know who invented it, but I was obviously born in the wrong century. I’ve been asked a couple of times why I don’t use a guillotine. Because there’s no dust, no noise. First of all, it is a big one. Secondly, it needs to be sharpened regularly and cannot be used to cut panels on the long side.
Clamp for laminate
With its help the undercutting of edge laminate boards is performed, which are mounted along the walls of the room. A laminate staple is used in order to evenly distribute the impact along the entire length of the flooring. The clamp is a curved plate. To ensure effective work, its thickness should be no less than 5 millimeters. On the ends of the metal plate are bent in different directions at right angles. One end of the staple is wider than the other.
Some force is needed for undercutting, so it is difficult to do without a hammer. Laminate laying brackets help keep the edges of the boards intact. A staple can be made by hand. The wide end of the plate is pushed against the end part of the lamella and the narrow end is hit with a hammer.
How to cut a laminate flooring?
You can cut the laminate flooring into the right pieces with your own hands:
When cutting, make sure that there are no cuts or scratches on the upper decorative layer. Afterwards they will all be visible to the naked eye on the substrate in the sunlight. That is why the use of a coarse- and medium-toothed wood saw is not recommended. It is practically impossible to make a cut with it without making ugly grooves.
To get a smooth cross-cut, it is best to use any guide made of metal or a square. And the holes for the pipes should be sawed out slowly with a knife.
Using the above tools will almost always give you a burr-free cut. If they are formed, such rags can be cut with a knife or be ground with a flat wood rasp.
As the name suggests, its main function is to undercut each slab. It helps to tighten the boards together. Thanks to its use all mortise joints remain intact and undamaged.
Laminate trimmers are not only made of wood, but also of plastic. To make it last a long time, when buying it you should pay attention to the price of the product and its quality. The bar should weigh about 1.5 kilograms. When undercutting it is important to ensure that the edge that is applied to the board is even. In the event that the surface of the joist is even slightly damaged, it must be replaced.
If you do not have a padded bar, you should not use a hammer for laminate. The problem can be solved by using an unnecessary part of the strip. You need to dock the locks and carefully whip up the strip. The effect of using a piece will be the same as that of the bar.
Laminate installation technology
After preparing the subfloor, leveling it, and, if necessary, vapor barrier, soundproofing, you can proceed directly to laying the laminate floor. So, installing the laminate flooring begins with the installation of distance spacers in the corner of the room, where the beginning of the installation of wooden floor panels will be. This is done to leave a gap of 10mm between the wall and the laminate board. Since the material has the property to expand under the influence of ambient temperature and humidity, the gap will not let the panel deform. After laying the floor, the distance spacers are removed. You can start laying in any corner of the room, but as experts advise, it is better to put the laminate flooring along the sunlight that will shine from the window. The joints of the panels will be less noticeable.
In the first place is laid the first panel of the first row, then laid the first panel of the second row, but it is cut in half. This is done in order to lay the laminate flooring in the form of a checkerboard, which will give an even distribution of load during the operation of the flooring. Next lay the second panel in the first row, and then the second panel in the second row. Do this until the panels cover the entire area of the room. The last stage of installation is the installation of baseboards, for which holes are drilled in the wall beforehand. There are two types of laying. tongue and groove. Let’s take a closer look at both.
Locking laminate flooring installation
This method involves laying the wooden laminated panels without using fasteners. The joints between the laminate panels are made in the form of locks, which join together and form a strong system. Install the panels is quite simple, it does not require special knowledge, and perform the work can even beginner. There are two types of locks for fastening the laminate parts together, let’s look at each of them separately. This variant is used for apartments and small rooms that do not require additional fastening.
- Click-click is the most common type of lock, which has a “tongue and groove” design. It has almost superseded other types because of its simplicity and reliability. The joint is done at a 30-degree angle until the lock clicks into place, and then it is hammered in with an undercutting bar until the two laminate panels are fully joined.
- Lock-lock. with this type of locking the panels are laid horizontally, and the groove of one panel is inserted into the groove of the other. After that the trowel is padded and the lock is snapped into place.
Glue laying laminate flooring
The only difference between glue-laminate flooring installation and glue-locked installation is that the joints are additionally glued with a special adhesive. This gives greater reliability of the joint, resulting in a significantly longer life of the wood flooring. In addition the joints have a protection against moisture, which is also beneficial to the performance of the laminate flooring. In case of glue-laying it is necessary for the glued joints to dry well, that is why it is recommended to use the flooring for its intended purpose after 10 hours. The glue is used with a water-repellent property. It is better not to save on glue, as some do, and do not use a simple PVA. A special bonding agent can be purchased at any building supermarket. This option is used more often in rooms with a large area, where additional bonding is required, because the laminate can come apart in such a case.
Laminate flooring is not a universal flooring and you should know when it should not be laid. Laminated wood flooring should not be laid over carpeting. Also it is impossible to glue the laminate flooring and fix it by other means to the floor surface. It is also not recommended to do this in rooms with high humidity, such as baths, saunas and other similar places, because the material is afraid of water and quickly deforms under the influence of intensive moisture. Not all laminate flooring is suitable for installation as a surface finish on a cable or “matt” electric underfloor heating system. Install laminate in the kitchen or hallway with a high wear-resistance class. In this case it is necessary to seal the joints with an adhesive.