What batteries are needed for an electric screwdriver. Domestic batteries for Interskol screwdrivers
The nuances of choosing a battery for an electric screwdriver
For autonomous nutrition of portable screwdrivers, batteries are used that can give out the necessary power and supply the tool with accumulated energy for a long time. They come with different chemical composition-Ni-CD, Ni-MH, Li-Ion, Lifepo4.
Comfort, safety and efficiency of using power tools depend on the choice of battery. Today we will talk in detail about how to choose a good battery for an electric screwdriver.
What is the design of the battery for an electric screwdriver
The battery is a plastic case in which several small batteries connected by contact tape are located. The ends of the tape come out and look like oblong plates. The main task of the battery is to produce direct current using the electrolysis process.
Squads for screwdrivers are distinguished by various technical characteristics
Each battery consists of such elements:
Directly in the power tool itself there is a special hole where the battery housing is placed. And reliable consolidation is provided by two terminals located on the sides of the battery. Many manufacturers of screwdrivers, a battery may have a detachable case, although professionals have learned to carefully disassemble whole batteries for screwdrivers without harm to them. In order to open the case, just use the screwdriver, which is unscrewed by the fasteners.
Mini batteries located inside the case are distinguished by a cylindrical shape. The number of power elements depends on what voltage is necessary for the device. It can be 8, 10 or even 15 elements, which are usually placed in several rows.
It is interesting! Batteries for electric screwdriver are connected with a tape, the basis of which is nickel. Internal elements are connected in a sequential order, standard. From minus to plus. To fix the tape to the batteries, point welding is used.
Some screwdrivers are sold with two batteries
The production of current in the battery occurs due to the potential difference on the cathode and anode. All batteries have different properties. The main characteristics that are interesting to users include:
- Material used for the manufacture of the pole and electrolyte;
- Voltage affecting the productivity of the device;
- A container that determines how much time you can work with a device without recharging.
The voltage of the battery is determined by the number of batteries built inward. One element, as a rule, has a charge from 1.2 to 3.9 volts. Thanks to the sequential connection, the required amount of volts is gained. For the work of a household tool, a 10.8–14.4 V indicator is enough, but a professional device for normal operation needs 18–36 V.
The battery capacity to the screwdriver determines the maximum operating time. This indicator primarily affects the current consumed by the device, as well as the voltage with complete discharge.
The battery capacity affects the battery size
The market presents an extensive assortment of batteries for different brands of screwdrivers. Many of them belong to the type Li-ion. You can distinguish well.Proven models for popular tool brands.
The lithium-ion battery without memory effect is suitable for various Bosch devices, including screwdrivers, disc saws, thermal detectors, scissors for working with metal and lanterns. The case is reliably protected from mechanical exposure.
Features of choice
As you know, professional screwdrivers differ in greater cost, but this is no coincidence. They are made with a large margin of strength, for which better and expensive materials are used. In addition, they have greater power, which makes it possible to screw longer screws and/or work with more rigid materials.
The internal gears of the gearbox can be made of plastic or metal. The difference between professional and household electrical screwdriver will be in the resource
To solve a household or professional electric screwdriver, you need, evaluate the volume of work that will need to be done. If you start a construction or major repairs, you probably need a professional or semi.Professional model. If the tool is needed periodically-something to twist/twist something from time to time, there is more than enough household. With such work, the resource of the instrument pros simply will not be in demand. So choosing an electric screwdriver according to this criterion is not very difficult.
When choosing power, it is worth taking into account not only what power of the electrical screwdriver is indicated in the information from the manufacturer. Due to too much performance, the device can tighten the screws too strongly, pressing their hat to the surface. As a result, the appearance of the coating spoils, and the fasteners, if necessary, is almost impossible to unscrew.
When choosing which voltage is better for an electric screwdriver, it should be borne in mind that the voltage is the main parameter of the device. So, for example, the power of the Makita DDF343SHE electric screwdriver engine is 700 W, at a voltage of 14.4V and a battery capacity of 1300 mAh and a rotating moment 36 nm. While the other Hammer ACD182 model has a weaker engine (22 nm) and not such a capacious battery (1200 mAh). And it seems that this device is about 40% weaker. However, due to the voltage of 18 in Hammer, he is able to tighten more fasteners without recharging, even yielding to the competitor in the capacity of the battery.
Understand why a less productive at first glance the screwdriver is inferior to a more powerful one, you can, having made a small calculation:
In the process of choosing a screwdriver, it is advisable to take into account the presence of a spare battery in the kit for it. Some models have even 2 additional batteries. On the one hand, such a set will cost more (especially since the cost of the battery is up to 80% of the equipment price), but it will be much more convenient to work with it. At the same time, an additional battery does not need an additional battery. The time performed with its help rarely exceeds 1-2 hours. Whereas in the process of constant use of a screwdriver (for example, for repair work or furniture assembly), the second battery allows you not to interrupt the work longer than a few minutes. The discharged battery is placed on charging, and the spare is installed in the device.
In the absence of the need for long work, which may need a screwdriver, buying a model with additional batteries is not recommended not only because of its increased cost. Just the operational period of such a battery is short, and after a couple of years, the user will have to buy a new part, without spenting even half of the resource of the old.
Which batteries are better than NI CD or Li-Ion for electric screwdriver
Both types of battery elements are good. However, the choice of the type of battery block depends on the purpose of operation.
The main difference between lithium of ion batteries (Lee Ion) and Nickel Cadmiev (neither CD) are the number of turnover cycles. Li-ion has 1500 of them, and the cadmiums have 500.
At the first glance it seems that Li-ando is much better, because the number of cycles is 3 times more. However, it is not. When choosing a battery, rely on the fact that the wear of cadmium batteries depends on the cycles used. And the term of the LI-Ion batteries is from their age.
Cadmiums have been used for 7-11 years, and Li-Ion will not work after 5, regardless of whether they used them or not. Therefore, it is not recommended to buy several lithium blocks “for the future”. They will all come to a faulty state.
Nickel-cadmium battery, in turn, will live much longer if they are correctly stored. This rule works even when an electric screwdriver with a cd battery was not used for a whole year.
It is not recommended to buy a used electric screwdriver with a lithium battery, because there is a risk that it has not been operated for a long time and, accordingly, is faulty or close to a malfunction.
On the contrary, if a b/e electric screwdriver is equipped with a nickel-cadmium battery, then it retains up to 55-60% of its charge. Even if it was not used.
If you use an electric shurubrust or drill not very often, then Li-Ion batteries will most likely die “from old age”. Therefore, if you are not a professional master who uses an electric screwdriver daily, then buying a Li-Ion battery does not make sense.
Cadmium battery is best for household operation. They serve for a long time, regardless of how much they lay without work. Nickel-cadmium batteries are stored in the box until they lose their 500 elements charge turnover cycles.
Lithium needs constant charging, because the main conditions for its storage are at least 60% of energy. If you do not recharge the lithium regularly, then it will with a high probability will collapse ahead of schedule even with proper storage.
This type of batteries is the most common, although it is already more than 100 years old. Nicd batteries have good capacity and low cost.
Nickel-cadmium battery have the following advantages.
- Durability. With proper operation, the battery can last 8-10 years.
- The ability to work in low temperatures. The charge of the battery is practically not reduced, which allows you to use the tool in the winter in the open air.
- High degree of reliability and unpretentiousness to working conditions.
- The battery withstands a thousand charging cycles.
- The battery can be stored for a long time in a discharged state.
Since nicd batteries are not “afraid” of the full category, you can work with the tool until it stops it, that is, to the deep category of battery. Only after that you can put it on the charge, without fear that the battery capacity will decrease.
However, nickel-cadmium batteries are not deprived of shortcomings. The toxicity of the internal filling of the battery causes problems in disposal.
In some countries of Europe, the operation of nickel-cadmium batteries is prohibited in order to maintain ecology.
This type of batteries are quite heavy, when compared with other types of batteries. In addition, they have a “memory effect”. This phenomenon occurs in a nickel cadmium battery, when it is not allowed to completely discharge. If you turn on such an battery for recharging, then it will “remember” this value and with further work it will be discharged to this mark. Thus, a significant part of the battery capacity will be lost. The figure below clearly demonstrated how the “memory effect” appears ”.
Varieties of batteries
Two types of electrodes are used here. Nickel and cadmium. The first has a positive charge, the second is negative.
Nickel-cadmium batteries for electric screwdriver
- Frost resistance, which allows you to operate devices on the street even at low temperatures;
- A large number of charging cycles;
- Lack of tendency to spontaneous combustion;
- It can be completely discharged and stored without charging, without fear of a change in the characteristics of the device;
- The presence of harmful components in the composition;
- It is difficult to dispose of devices that failed that cannot be restored;
- Significant mass;
- After a long use, the indicators worsen;
- The presence of memory effect, which is why the container can decrease due to improper use of the model.
Nickel-metallogid accumulators for electric screwdriver
High.Quality batteries that have the following advantages:
- It can be charged at any time, without waiting for the battery to completely discharge;
- Lack of harmful compounds in the composition;
- There are no problems with disposal;
- High capacity;
- Low weight;
- Compact dimensions;
- Durable case resistant to mechanical damage.
- Restore performance for a long time;
- A small number of charging cycles;
- Over time, characteristics worsen;
- Lack of resistance to negative temperatures;
- You can not wait for complete discharge;
- Large cost.
Lithium-polymer batteries for electric screwdriver
This species has the following advantages:
- Quickly restores performance;
- Can be charged at any charge level;
- Practically not discharged with inactivity;
- Lack of harmful compounds;
- Serves for many years without malfunctions.
- With inaccurate circulation, an explosion may occur;
- If you constantly completely discharge, quickly become unusable;
- In case of breakdown, you cannot restore;
- At negative temperatures, they quickly lose their charge.
Lithium-ion batteries for electric screwdriver
This type of batteries has the following advantages:
New Arrival INTERSKOL FMA-55/18 VE Wireless milling Machine Overview Brushless Motor. Subtitles
- The capacity indicator does not change even if the battery is charged without waiting for complete discharge;
- Almost not discharged in an inactive state;
- Good autonomy;
- Wide range of operating temperatures.
- Small service life;
- High price;
- Cannot be completely discharged;
- When charging, use, a large number of requirements must be observed.
How to check the battery of an electric screwdriver by a multimeter
For the very first diagnosis, you need to determine the voltage and power of the battery during charging an electric screwdriver. Normally, the device should show 13V 30 minutes after connecting to the network. After 1 hour, the value will change by 0.5V.
The maximum voltage indicator of an electric screwdriver should reach 17V.
The current strength when connecting to the network in a well.Working device should reach more than 1 ampere in 1 hour.
The multimeter itself is transferred to the DC mode. To check the battery voltage. At the same time, the switch of modes must be put on the value of 20V. This means that the voltage value on an electric screwdriver does not exceed the value of 20 volts.
When measuring the voltage of an already fully charged electric screwdriver, the value should be equal to the number of “cans” multiplied by the voltage of each battery.
Typically, the amount of battery in the device is 10-12 pieces. With the tension of nickel-cadmium batteries in 1.2V, the required value will reach a maximum of 14.4V.
How to replace a worn.Out battery in an electric screwdriver
To carry out the work yourself, you need to choose the option of repairing with your own hands and prepare in advance everything you need. It is better to follow the step.By.Step instructions and observe accuracy, since any error can lead to the complete exit of the battery.
Refining the nutrition elements into similar
The simplest solution used most often. It consists in replacing worn batteries with new.
- Elements of the nutrition according to the characteristics are completely identical to those installed in the battery. If there is no information on this subject, you will have to first disassemble the device.
- Soldering iron.
- Flux and solder.
- Thin ones.
- Insulating tape.
- Copper wire or plates for contacts.
Work must be carried out in this way:
- Fully charge the electric screwdriver, remove the battery and disassemble the case. It is necessary to gently jerk off the connection or unscrew the screws, it all depends on the design and manufacturer of the product.
- Extract batteries, most often there are several. Measure voltage indicators on each, write down.
- Collect the battery, use an electric screwdriver before it is discharged. Disassemble the case again and measure. All elements should have approximately the same indicators. If in some the difference is 0.5 V or more. This is an indicator of deterioration, all such batteries must be changed.
- Using the soldering iron, carefully share the contacts, remove the old batteries and put new ones in their place. It is important to solder carefully, monitor the observance of polarity.
- If possible, use full.Time contacts, if they are damaged, new ones are suitable or you can adapt copper wiring.
- Collect the battery, charge it for at least 8 hours to align the potentials of old and new nutritional elements. Then leave an electric screwdriver for 12-16 hours, after which you can use the equipment as usual.
By the way!
Singing contacts should be carefully and quickly so as not to overheat the batteries, as this can adversely affect their potential.
Replacement for lithium batteries
If you want to translate an electric screwdriver from nickel-cadmium or from nickel-metallogid to lithium-ionic, you need to adhere to another instructions. First you need to clarify the power consumption and voltage of the equipment. If you divide the first indicator into the second, you can find out the maximum of current consumed by an electric screwdriver. When choosing new batteries, you need to take into account this particular indicator so as not to overload the equipment.
Work should be carried out in this way:
- Purchase the right number of batteries if you use standard models 18650, their current will be 4.2 volts. That is, 3 elements of food will be required, since the indicators are always rounded upward.
- Disassemble the battery housing, most often it holds on latches or on several screws from the bottom.
- Remove the old nutrition elements, you can unscrew them or cut off with a knife, there is no particular difference.
- Use 2 holders for batteries in which they will be placed for quick removal when charging is required. They must be connected to each other in any suitable way.
- Contact the installation sites of 3 power elements sequentially. The minus of one should go to the plus of the other.
- To control the charge in the system, you need to put the LED, which must be connected through the resistor by 1 kOhm. The diode must be inserted into a convenient place of the battery case, making a hole in it with a hot nail. It should be connected in parallel to the power supply of an electric screwdriver.
- Sold the wires of sufficient cross.Section to equipment terminals, after which you can use an electric screwdriver for its intended purpose.
So that the batteries are charged the same, it is important to buy products of the same model and capacitance. They should also be made not in different parties.
Installation of an emergency battery 12V 5-7 A-h
This option is used in cases where there are no batteries at hand, but you need to provide long.Term power supply. The batteries of this type have dimensions 15x10x7 cm, they are quite heavy. Therefore, it makes no sense to attach them to a screwdriver. These batteries are used as an external power source, for convenience it can be placed in a or worn in a small bag to provide the necessary mobility.
The instructions for conducting work are quite simple:
- First of all, it is necessary to disassemble the battery body to extract batteries. Clean contacts and solder 2 pre.Cleaned ends on one side of the cable. Fix it so that when it does not break away, it can be pressed inside with screws and a plate. Assemble the case and put in place.
- The second end of the cable must be attached to the battery. To do this, it is necessary to clean the insulation on the veins and install on them the terminals of a suitable size. The connection place must be squeezed, and then closed with a heat.Shrink pipe.
- Connect contacts and check the operation of the equipment. If everything is fine, you can use the tool as intended.
On a note!
Many use this solution as a backup, when the main battery has sat down and there is no time to wait until it is charged.
Repair or replace the nutrition elements in the battery with 12 volts is not difficult if you understand the features and choose the appropriate recovery option. Similar batteries can be used. It is also permissible to finalize the system to use lithium-ion varieties or adapting a large capacity for long-term operation. To even better understand the features of the process, you should watch a detailed video.
AWESOME DIY TIPS. HOW TO USE A DRILL/ SCREWDRIVER COWBOYDIY.COM