What to do if the tile cutter breaks.
Repair of vibratory plates: what to do if the tool vibrator is broken?
Vibratory plates break down over time, even when used properly. And the main faults are related to the engine. Therefore, in order to repair the vibrolite, it is important to accurately establish the cause and location of the breakdown, and then eliminate the defect. The main recommendations and diagrams are presented in this material.
Before you start repairing, you need to figure out what exactly happened. for example, the vibrator or the motor frame is broken. The engine is the most frequently affected part, since it is the most vulnerable part. There are other possible causes, but listed below are some of the main ones.
To understand what’s wrong, you need to look at the vibratory plate. A schematic diagram of a petrol screed is shown below. The principle of operation is related to the work of the motor, which transmits an impulse to the drive belt. Due to this action, the exciter generates vibration, affecting the surface. The unit’s top and bottom plate are equipped with vibration-absorbing mounts, ensuring long periods of trouble-free operation.
But sometimes the engine can fail, which can be due to various reasons (using a gasoline unit as an example):
- Poor oil quality or insufficient oil quantity. The motor does not run or shuts down after a while. In this case you need to know how to disassemble the vibrator and fix the breakage.
- The air filter is clogged with dirt. the engine operates but is unstable, may lose power, often does not start.
- Problems with the spark plugs. the engine is also weak.
- Dirty exhaust system.
- Piston wear.
To understand how to repair the vibrator, you need to deal with the breakage of the vibrating unit. In this case the main factors are as follows
- The gland leaks, which leads to a breakdown of the gears. in a neglected case, you will have to change the entire mechanism;
- The engine runs with low rpm;
- the drive belt is loose. it is enough to tighten it, and if it is badly worn, it is easier to replace it.
Causes of smoke
You will also need to repair the vibrator if it smokes a lot. Judge the cause of the defect by the color of the smoke:
- White. the equipment is used at low temperatures, steam is formed, which is the norm. But if white smoke appears and when the engine is warm, you need to change the fuel. it is too wet.
- Grey or bluish, bluish smoke. oil got into the cylinder. Or it could get into the air filter, if the tool is heavily tilted. Then the vibrator doesn’t work.
- If the smoke is black, you need to make sure that the air damper is open. If there is nothing wrong with it, the cause is related to the fuel system.
Types of tile cutters
In the construction market there are different categories of tile cutters:
The most popular is a manual tile cutter. Pliers tile cutter is relevant in conditions of single need when cutting thin ceramic tiles. As for battery-powered devices, they are used by professional tilers and builders working on large-scale objects. Bottom-fed tile cutters are often found in the arsenal of master tilers, and the floor cordless versions. for professionals working with large objects or on an industrial scale.
Forming round and shaped cuts
The simplest method of how to work properly with a tile cutter is associated with a straight, even cut. But in practice, it is often necessary to perform other operations, such as a shaped or round cut. One example is installing a socket in a tile.
For such cases, a diamond drill bit, also referred to as a core drill bit, should be used. If you need a more complex shape-type cut, several devices are used at once. For this take a set of cuts. straight and round types are needed. If it is necessary to cut along a broken line, a grinder is used. You can also use an angle grinder.
Types of tile cutters
According to the principle of operation, tile cutters are divided into two types:
Diagram of a mechanical tile cutter.
Handheld devices work on the principle of a glass cutter, producing tile breaking by means of a moving carriage with a diamond roller. The main components of a manual tile cutter are a stationary base (bed), a carriage with a roller and a handle, which is used to break the tiles. The cutting part makes a longitudinal scratch on the glaze, then the handle by the principle of a lever distributes the force applied to both halves of the tile, under the action of which the tile breaks into two equal parts.
Electric tile cutters are equipped with a moving diamond disc. It works on the principle of a circular saw. The tile with the help of guides is fed to the disk, which completely cuts it, ensuring the absence of chips and aligning the cutting edge. As a result, both parts are smooth. Devices with an electric drive allow you to get a strip of material a few millimeters wide.
Both types of devices can work at different angles, which is very important when laying tiles in a shaped way.
Safety rules when working with the tool
In order to use a manual tile cutter as safely as possible and at the same time the result of the work was high quality, you need to follow some safety rules, namely:
- Before you start working, it is imperative to inspect the tool used, so that you can identify all the breakages and irregularities of the guides in time, then find and repair any visible damage to the tile cutter.
- It is necessary to pass a couple of times on the tiles idly, and all the movements must be smooth, without any shocks.
- Do not forget to additionally check also the tube guides. they must be perfectly clean, without dust and dirt. Remove tile pieces, grout marks, and finally, to improve the operation, lubricate with a little machine oil.
- Also pay attention to the blade itself. Its condition should be perfect, in no case bent, and the rotation around the axis of attachment should take place without any difficulties. It is worth noting that during the operation of the handheld tile cutter there should also be no extraneous sounds.
- In order not to get any injuries, it is best to work in special glasses and gloves.
- Some experts also recommend checking the water supply on the disk, which makes the work easier.
- It is necessary to start working only after the disc has reached those revolutions that can be well described as maximum.
Manual tile cutter. how to properly use in recent times a lot of people ask, but in fact in this process there is nothing complicated. Every inexperienced beginner can cope with the work. If you still do not manage to cut off the desired piece of tile, then on our website you will find a video with the most detailed instructions, which will allow you to learn all the details and nuances of this type of work. Do not forget about the rules of safety, because your health and, of course, your safety depends on it.
What tools are allowed to work with
It is possible to assemble a self-made tile cutter, but it is not always required, because the very process of its assembly will take a lot of your time and will also require a certain tool. For example, to make a strong base, you can not do without a welder, which already imposes certain difficulties.
So to begin with, we’ll tell you what you can work with when laying tiles, without expensive equipment, and what you still can’t do without.
Even if you can assemble a homemade tile cutter, without electric abrasive cutting, laying tile is almost impossible.
- First, when passing window and door openings at the corners must make L-shaped cutouts.
- Secondly, today in bathrooms put outlets, hoods and other equipment, under which to make holes in the tiles. They can be performed with an angle grinder or use an electric drill with ceramic bits.
- Thirdly, the floor today is mainly laid with porcelain tiles, and to cut it with a manual tile cutter, even a professional one, is very difficult.
Poor quality material
Initially, defective tiles will behave unpredictably when they are cut. Low-quality tile will not only break when slicing, but also behave in an unpredictable way during installation. Another reason can be improper storage of the material in the warehouse or immediately after purchase: for example, at too low a temperature or severe fluctuations in air humidity.
Working with a handheld tile cutter
This variation is very popular with professional and amateur tilers. Buy this tool is not difficult, the price depends on the size, reliability and special accessories. If the tile cutter has a rotating base and a built-in ruler to make a 45-degree cut, then the price will be decent.
Ishii Tile Cutter. How to cut tiles fast
Try not even to look at a cheap model, you will spend money in vain, because they have a bad pressure and a weak base, so in most cases the tile breaks the wrong way.
Recommendations for working with the tile cutter
Insert the tile into the tile cutter, align the mark on the tile and the special mark on the tool. Let down the handle and with a smooth movement lead from yourself. The speed should be equal, the pressure should be equal, then the glaze will be cut with the same depth. One cut with the roller is enough. If the motion is repeated several times, you can get a low-quality fracture.
How To Use A Tile Snap Cutter
The tool is equipped with special feet that, when lowered, break the tile into pieces of the desired size. The main thing is to push sharply on the lever. All tile cutters, without exception, have a platform with a metal shoulder and soft pads.
When you press the claws on the edge of the tile, the cut is under maximum pressure. With the correct alignment of the cutting line and the pad, the tile will split very evenly.
With words this process can be not very clear, especially for beginners. It is better to see and understand how to cut tiles with a tile cutter correctly.
Cutting a tile with a letter “D
The tile cutter is designed to make a straight cut only, so if you need to make an L-shaped cut, you’ll have to work a little harder. The easiest thing would be to cut the tile into two parts, and then one of them again and fold them in a letter G when laying.
And as a result we get additional needless joint, sharply catching the eye.
You can go another way. the short side is cut with an angle grinder, the long side. tile cutter.
This method is also suitable for cutting outer corners, the main thing is to correctly mark and take away about 5 mm of grouting seam a slight indentation from the wall.
There is one more way: the cut on the glaze surface is made with the help of any available cutting and piercing tool, and then the excess is broken off with the help of pliers. To process the irregularities use sandpaper. In this way you can make rounded notches, which are placed near the risers.
Cutting porcelain tiles
Everybody knows that porcelain tiles are one of the hardest materials used for producing floor tiles. The method of cutting for it is the same as for standard tiles.
Floor tiles are often less amenable to cutting than porcelain tile itself. This is especially true for tempered tiles, where it is almost impossible to see the notch on the surface of the glaze. Often not even a diamond disc can be used to make an even cut. In this situation, take an angle grinder, saw a groove of 2 to 3 mm on the back side, which will be the place of the break.
Sequence of work. quick and uncomplicated
Assembling of the tile cutter should be done in the following way: it is necessary to weld smaller angles to the outer side of the bigger angle so that the bearing moved without play (but freely) between them. Thus, you will get half of the main part of the tile cutter. Make the second half symmetrically to the first. Let’s assume that all the steps are done and the cutting element is to be installed. For this purpose it is necessary to weld a handle and a holder for the cutting element to the steel tube, which can be both an ordinary glass cutter and any sharpened element with a diamond coating.
The resulting structure is put on the shaft and the shaft ends are pressed into the bearing sleeves. The cutting structure is taken to one of the end positions, and you have to fix the edges of the bearing angles with electric welding. Immediately check the movement of the cutting element in the space formed between the bearing angles. If there is no hesitation and the passage is not difficult, then the main part of the tile cutter is welded correctly. It remains only to glue the rubber strips to its lower part and chamfer them. After the glue has dried, this part is to be attached to the wooden base. Here various design solutions are possible. The main thing is that our metal part can move freely in a vertical position and does not deviate along the horizon line. The simplest design consists of regular door hinges attached to both parts of the tile cutter. The disadvantage of this design is that it does not allow us to cut tiles of different thicknesses. It is better to make hinge designs that are adjustable in height.