What to saw an asbestos pipe with. Features of asbestos-cement pipes
How to cut asbestos-cement pipes with your own hands without power tools and with it
Hello readers! Today I want to talk about asbestos cement pipes. Pipes made of asbestos-cement for several decades are actively used in various spheres of construction, for household needs and at home. Sometimes there are simply no analogues.
What, for example, is the best way to build a chimney in the basement or to lay a ventilation in a layer of earth?
The excellent properties of thick-walled asbestos-cement pipes are well known. They are resistant to moisture, rot, decay, high mechanical stress.
In the process of performing many types of work often need to cut a piece of pipe or shorten an existing piece.
Just like that, very quickly, to do it will not work. If you put a lot of force on some part of the pipe, the pipe will simply burst. And we want to get even cuts.
Therefore, the process of cutting should be approached thoroughly, with knowledge. For example, you can not do such an operation in the same way as you can do with asbestos-cement slate.
As you know, slate, can be nailed in several places, and then break along the line done. The pipe cannot be punched in this way due to its thick walls.
What to cut asbestos-cement pipes with their own hands without power tools and with his help
Over the past 50 years, asbestos-cement pipes are very popular in carrying out various works. This is due to the fact that such products are quite easy to mount, they are resistant to corrosive environments and last longer than counterparts made of metal. However, the problem of cutting asbestos-cement pipe often arises. How to do it right?
Cutting asbestos-cement pipes angle grinder
The most common way is to cut asbestos-cement pipes with an angle grinder (aka angle grinder, angle grinder; something like Bosch GWS 850 CE Professional or Makita GA5030K).
In this case, there are 2 types of work, depending on the equipment used:
- angle grinder with a stone disk. Cutting with this method will require the efforts of two people. One of them should cut the pipe with an angle grinder, and the other should very thinly stream water to the place of cutting. The dust from the cut will not fly around the room, and flow down as dirt.
- An angle grinder with a diamond wheel. You need a respirator, goggles, and other protective equipment. To reduce the amount of dust that gets on a person when cutting, it is necessary to perform this process in an open space with the leeward side, so that all the dust flies away. If cutting a pipe in winter, it can be placed directly on the snow so that particles of material remain underneath.
If you do not have an angle grinder, you can use a cutter or hacksaw. Consider these techniques for cutting asbestos cement pipe.
- Hacksaw. You can cut a pipe with an ordinary hacksaw, but it takes a lot of time and effort. Initially, the pipe should be wet, because in a wet state asbestos cement is cut much easier, and if you saw the pipe in a dry state, the process becomes extremely tedious and inefficient. Then it is worth outlining a fishing line to trim the cut, soak the rags in water and lay them for a few hours along the intended location of the cut. Wet asbestos cement will be much more elastic and will cut easily. Do not put too much pressure on the pipe when cutting, so that it does not split.
- Cutter. You’ll need a cutter similar to a plastic cutter, but larger in size and made of quality metal. The pipe should be placed on a flat plane and using a ruler to make a scratch on the cutter in the form of a straight cut. Then deepen it a millimeter and further. You can put a small rail under the scratch inside the pipe and break along the cut line. This process does not produce much dust.
The above methods of cutting asbestos cement are the most popular, but in case they do not suit you, you can use alternative technologies:
Classic axe. You need to take an ordinary axe and chop the pipe with it along the planned lines. It is worth understanding that in the same place it is necessary to apply many blows to initially break through the pipes, and then the process will go much faster. Of course, you can’t cut the pipe properly, but you can cut it fast and efficiently.
Circular saw. You can cut an asbestos cement pipe using a circular saw. Instead of the usual disc, you need to install a disc with hard-alloy teeth on it.
A slate nail. If you do not have at hand all of the tools listed above, you can use the most primitive method. First, a fishing line for trimmer cut is marked on the pipe, then a slate nail is taken, with which the fishing line for trimmer is punched along the entire length of the circumference. The more often the holes are placed, the better. It is best to put a thin oblong object, such as a block of wood, under the pipe. At the end, you need to carefully break the pipe along the line with the holes. Line for trimmer cut will not be perfectly flat, in any case, it all depends on the number of holes made and the neatness of the break.
Of course, the line for trimmer cutting can come out uneven, it all depends on the accuracy of breaking and the number of holes.
Calculation of fence spans along the perimeter of the site, trimming pipes, drilling wells
Foundation options for the fence using asbestos-cement pipes.
Unpretentious and affordable poles can last for decades. Competent installation of asbestos cement pipes, depth calculation and knowledge of technology ensures their long life. Pillars made of asbestos-cement for the fence are best combined with structures made of Rabitz grid, wood, profiled sheeting.
In order to install the posts, you must be well prepared for the installation process. Most often use pipes with the following technical characteristics:
To trim pipes to the required size use an angle grinder with a diamond wheel. The distance between the bearing elements of the fence depends on what material will be used as a crate. On the average it makes 2-3 m. After calculating the spans for the laying of pipes, boreholes are drilled with a hand drill, their diameter should be twice the outer diameter of the pipe.
Usually the depth is 70-90 cm. It is usually proportional to the ground part of the support and, of course, is determined depending on the composition of the soil, the length of the spans, the sail of the crate (the susceptibility of the kinetic energy of air flow) and the wind conditions of the climate zone.
How to cut asbestos cement pipe
Asbestos cement pipes are widely used in construction for many reasons, of which we have already told you. One of them is that these pipes simply connect to each other and are easy to cut. Here we tell you about the ways in which they can be cut.
Probably the easiest way is to cut pipes with an angle grinder with a regular disc for stones or with a diamond wheel. There is probably no point to explain the essence of the work, but some features you should familiarize yourself with. Such work should be performed by two people and always wear safety glasses. One person cuts the pipe, while the other person should water the place of the cut with a thin stream of water. Otherwise harmful dust is released into the air. The second point to consider is that you should not wait until the dirty water on the floor dries, you should make a cleaning, otherwise after the asbestos cement dust hardens, it will be extremely difficult to get it off the floor.
Asbestos-cement pipes can be cut with ordinary metal hacksaws, but it is better not to do it dry. First, the blades will blunt quickly, and second, you have to spend a lot of time on the job. Wet material can be cut much faster and the hacksaw blade does not blunt so quickly. To do this, it is not enough to simply wet the sawing area, because the material must be soaked through with water. You need to wrap a rag around the cutting line around the pipe, abundantly water it and leave it for two hours. After that the pipe will be sawn quickly and easily.
There are special cutters for asbestos-cement pipes. Of course, it makes no sense to buy it for personal needs, but for professionals, this tool is necessary. It’s easy to work with. A closed line for a trimmer is carried across the pipe to the place of sawing and a one-two millimeter deepening is made with a cutter on it. After that, you need to put a wooden board under the pipe and just break the pipe. In this case, its end will be smooth and there will be practically no dust emitted during the work.
If you do not need the accuracy of execution of work, then the asbestos-cement pipe can be cut with an ordinary axe. To do this, it is necessary to apply light blows along the cut line. Of course the end of the pipe will be uneven.
These pipes can be cut quite well with a simple circular saw. The only thing you need is to install the disk with a carbide inset.
The most primitive way to cut asbestos-cement pipes is to use an ordinary slate nail. To do this you need to hammer a nail in the saw line of the pipe and immediately remove it. The more holes you make, the easier it will be to break the pipe. Of course its end will be jagged.
[content-egg module=GdeSlon template=compare]
HOW TO: Connect Plastic Soil Pipe to Cast Iron or Asbestos Cement | Drainage Sales
If you need to cut the concrete to a greater depth?
If you need to cut concrete to a depth of more than 100 mm, for example, if you need to cut a hole in the concrete wall, you should use the special disk saws on concrete (electric or hydraulic cutters), which can help you quickly and smoothly perform a cut of concrete to a depth of 160 mm on one side of the concrete structure. The cross section of the diamond disc, usually should be more than 350-400 mm. Professional concrete saws and diamond blades can be purchased or rented.
In order to obtain a positive result and make the efficiency of cutting concrete better, you can follow the following tips:
Determine the type of cutting: wet or dry
Concrete is usually cut with water (wet cutting), a sufficient amount of water can significantly reduce dust, preserve and increase the life of the diamond blade and increase cutting efficiency (with wet cutting the process can be continuous). But when there is no water source near the work area, the work is done by dry cutting. As it was said before, in dry cutting the process must be intermittent and superficial. If you want to make a deep cut, you have to make several shallow cuts.
Ac pipes manufacturing
You can’t drill next to each other. You only need to cut at this point
If the principle is to drill holes in concrete here and only here, then in this case You need to change the drill bit. You were drilling with a concrete drill, and you need to install a metal drill. Next you carefully drill through the rebar with a metal drill bit, and then again set the concrete drill bit and continue the work.
You can drill right through rebar with this. Just keep in mind, the metal drill must be exactly the same cross section as the concrete drill and necessarily sharpened (not blunt), otherwise you will be a very long time to drill through this iron.
Also, be aware of what kind of power tool you are working with. If you do everything with an impact drill, then when you change from a drill to a metal drill, don’t forget to change from chiseling to drilling mode and back when you set the concrete drill, put it back in chiseling mode. If you chisel with a peorator, and drill with a drill, then just switch these tools depending on what you’re doing.
The modes of operation of an impact drill can be carefully read by downloading my book: My Impact Drill. 5 tools in one.
You can drill next to a hole in the hole
If it is not the principle to make a hole exactly in the place where you drill, just make a hole next to it in another place. The main thing is not to hit the armature again. In this case it will be necessary to find a place for the 3rd time. Immediately I want to reassure you that getting into the armature. an infrequent phenomenon. This is faster the exception than the invariable rule.
READ How to cut composite rebar at home
How to install a chimney made of asbestos pipes
To make a chimney for a gas stove from asbestos, you need to make sure that the pipe has a diameter larger than the main. For insulation you can use mineral wool, which is desirable to lay several layers. The body should be 6 millimeters wider than the base. This process can be represented by the following necessary actions:
- Insulation should be made with mineral wool. She needs to illuminate the pipe winding;
- Thermal insulation will be mandatory. You can use polyethylene foil, which is mounted on metal brackets or with the help of wire;
- Another possible option for insulation may be to buy a pipe with a diameter that can be placed on the base pipe, so that there is not a large gap between them. Usually the size of such a pipe is 5-10 centimeters larger than the base;
- The elements should be connected, and then additionally fill the intermediate places with insulating material;
- Pour cement. This should be done so that the insulation layer is protected from various environmental influences.
If, despite these disadvantages in the chimney systems of this type of pipes, it was decided to use them for ventilation, then during installation it is necessary to observe some recommendations:
- Installation should be carried out so that the base is a reinforced concrete slab or stone.
- Be sure to place “fluff” where the pipe crosses the ceiling.
- For this design integrity should be further considered. For this purpose, all the resulting gaps and gaps should be filled with a special non-combustible material.
- Such voids in the structure is best filled with expanded clay, sand or reinforced concrete.
- At the point of passage through the roof of the house must be built a special device that will protect against leaks.
- Fixation of such a connection should be carried out by a sleeve, which can be formed with a solution of cement with sand.
It will be mandatory to provide a seal at the connection points. For this purpose the usual sealant with heat resistance is suitable. In addition, clips are used, attaching them to the top of the joints.
It is important to understand that the use of asbestos pipe is allowed only if it can be placed in the chimney design at a sufficient distance from the heat source. Also a good option for installation is to install it in an existing brick chimney, where due to the characteristics of both structures will meet all requirements of fire safety and optimum operation of the chimney.
Remember that asbestos cement pipes should not be exposed to excessive heat and direct contact with a burning flame.
Often asbestos cement pipes are used in the role of pipes or ducts for draught in furnace heating. Clearly, bricks (excluding only silicate bricks) are much better for this purpose. You just need to remember that in this case, asbestos-cement pipes should not be excessively heated and directly in contact with the burning flame.
If the pipe is installed as a chimney, for example, on the second floor, then the stove, which is on the first floor, will be heated, and then give its heat to heat the air around it. Ideally close the chimney outside of the pipe, for example, galvanized, and on top attach the umbrella (cap), which is needed to solve two problems: to protect the chimney from moisture in it, thanks to a certain angle of the cap, a change in air flow, moving under the influence of wind, which creates an additional draft for outgoing smoke.
Asbestos-cement pipes are also used for drainage of sidewalks and walkways near the house of rainwater.
And if not. alternative technologies
If you do not have an angle grinder, you can use a cutter or hacksaw. Consider these techniques for cutting asbestos cement pipes.
- Hacksaw. Cutting a pipe with an ordinary hacksaw is quite possible, but it will take quite a lot of effort and time. Initially, the pipe should be wet, as wet asbestos cement is much easier to cut, and if you saw the pipe dry, the process will become extremely tedious and inefficient. Then it is worth outlining the fishing line for the trimmer cut, soak the rags in water and lay them down for a few hours along the intended location of the cut. Wet asbestos cement will be much more elastic and easy to cut. You should not put too much pressure on the pipe when cutting it, so it does not split.
- Cutter. You will need a torch, similar to the cutter for plastic, but larger in size and made of quality metal. The pipe should be placed on an even plane and using a ruler to make a scratch on the cutter in the form of a straight cut. Then deepen it by a millimeter and further. You can put a small rail under the scratch inside the pipe and break along the mowing line of the cut. This process does not generate much dust.
The above methods of cutting asbestos cement are the most popular, but if they do not suit you, you can use alternative technologies:
Classic axe. You need to take an ordinary axe and chop the pipe along the planned lines with it. It is worth understanding that you need to apply many blows to the same place to initially break the pipes, and then the process will go much faster. Of course, you can not cut the pipe evenly, but you can do it effectively and quickly.
Circular saw. You can cut asbestos cement pipe using a circular saw. Instead of the usual disc, you need to install a disc with hard-alloy teeth on it.
Slate nail. If you do not have all of these tools handy, you can use the most rudimentary method. First, a line for trimmer cut is marked on the pipe, then a slate nail is taken, with which the line for trimmer is punched along the entire length of the circumference. The more often the holes are placed, the better. It is best to put a thin oblong object under the pipe, such as a block of wood. At the end, it is necessary to carefully break the pipe along the trimmer line with the holes. The cutting line for the trimmer will not be perfectly flat, in any case, it all depends on the number of holes made and the neatness of the break.