What tools do you need for furniture making
To make upholstered or cabinet furniture yourself, you need not only the knowledge, skills and know-how, but also special appliances. With the help of tools the work can be done quickly, efficiently and effectively. Furniture making tools are needed at every step of the manufacturing process.
At home you can get by with a standard set of devices, most of which can be found at each master.
- Drawing joiner’s square is a kind of ruler, a device necessary for the construction of perpendicular lines of marking.
- A stiff-soft simple pencil, ruler, and eraser will allow you to make proper markings.
- A five-meter tape measure with a permanent marking button.
- Construction levels will help determine the height of furniture, make it flat.
- A thick awl with a rubber grip is needed for marking out furniture fixtures.
An electric tool is needed for more complex work involving sawing and machining furniture pieces.
An electric drill allows you to perform most of the action on the manufacture of furniture. Experts advise using a 500 to 750 watt power tool, with reversing and a speed regulator. The tool should be lightweight, not overburdening the hands. The device can be with a metal or plastic chuck.
Many craftsmen prefer an impact electric drill in case the furniture has to be hung on the wall. An alternative to the drill can be a cordless electric screwdriver with reverse and speed regulator. It is convenient to work with a light tool that makes 400-500 revolutions per minute.
The device saws boards, makes shaped notches, prepares holes. With its help, you can improve the design of furniture, adding it with shaped or radiused elements. Choosing a device, you need to consider its power. Optimal parameters. 450-750 watts. Powerful jigsaw makes several thousand vibrations per minute. It will greatly facilitate the work of the master, will serve him for a long time, effectively. It is desirable that the saw has a pendulum stroke, speed regulator. There are jigsaw models with removable cutting blade.
Such a device complements the jigsaw. It gives the parts a smooth, even surface. At home, it is better to use a belt version, 650 watts, with metal roller guides. Do not interfere with the additional functions of the device:
Special tapes are purchased for the sanding machine. They come in two kinds. for roughing and finishing the material up to finishing. It is practical to buy oblique glue segments, as they are reliable. Tape sizes depend on the sander.
On the metal sole, an industrial hair dryer power of 1600-1800 W. indispensable items for furniture manufacturing. They allow melamine edges to be glued onto the end face of the elements Laminated chipboard. It is good if the hair dryer will be equipped with a heating regulator, without a fragile ceramic insert.
Additional furniture making tools will also be needed.
The flexible metal ruler up to 1000 mm long is useful for uneven parts marking.
A hammer is a joiner’s tool to hammer fasteners into furniture.
Stapler is indispensable in furniture production. It is a versatile tool that can perform many operations. Among them. upholstery fabric, assembling cabinets, re-stitching material. Nails, screws, staples are used for fasteners.
A hex wrench will be needed to tighten or unscrew a screw tie when it cannot be done with a screwdriver, drill, or electric screwdriver.
Drills of all kinds: wood, metal, pobedite, Forstner.
Jumbo clamps fix parts at a specific angle.
Pliers remove fasteners from particleboard.
Many furniture makers use a cudgel to hammer out sheets of Laminated particle board.
Additional tools for making furniture at home
1) Electric drill. We would need it to drill holes in the chipboard or in the wall. Preferably a drill with reverse (the ability to turn in both directions). Power of 400-500 watts is enough.
2) Jigsaw. At the first stage you can do without it. With its help usually directly at the place of installation cut holes for a sink or gas surface, make holes in the countertop, trim plinths.
3) A hand router. For routing the workpiece ends. Suppose you want to make a radius on the countertop, you first of all cut it with an electric jigsaw, and then milled the end face for smoothness, so it will get you flat, smooth and without chips. It is not necessary to get a routing cutter at the initial stage.
4) Construction hair dryer – Designed for gluing of PVC-edgebanding to the ends of chipboard. But you can do without it, t.к. edging will be glued for you in the same shop where you will do the sawing.
5) A box cutter. designed for cutting edges and other parts, this knife is sharp, you do not need to sharpen it, and when worn, simply change the blade.
6) Knife jamb. Used for cutting the PVC edges after gluing.
7) Rubber mallet. Will be useful for installing doors for a closet compartment.
Choosing an electric screwdriver
Despite the fact that many fastener screwing operations can be performed using an electric drill, if you have the financial resources it is advisable to buy an electric screwdriver, which will not be at all superfluous in the arsenal of amateur furniture maker.
The advantages of an electric screwdriver compared to most widely used models of electric drills should include:
- The autonomy to perform drilling and fastening operations;
- the ability to work at minimum spindle (chuck) speeds;
- The compactness of some types of screwdrivers, called “electric screwdrivers” in furniture workers’ slang, allows you to perform operations in hard-to-reach places inside compartments of drawers, cabinets and cabinets.
When selecting an electric screwdriver, the following recommendations should be adhered to:
- this type of power tool must be light, small-sized, ergonomic and easy to work with;
- it is desirable to have a changeable (spare) battery;
- The presence of spindle (chuck) reverse is mandatory;
- when choosing an electric screwdriver, it is desirable to give preference to models equipped with a quick-action chuck;
- in addition to an electric drill, only cordless models should be purchased;
peculiarities of battery choice:
- Despite the high cost, preference should be given to power tools, equipped with a lithium-ion (Li-Ion) batteries, which, compared to the widespread nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd) and nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH) batteries have no “memory effect”;
- Electric screwdriver should have a button “zeroing” the battery, which allows you to reduce the negative consequences of the “memory effect”;
- Screwdrivers with nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH) batteries have a higher number of charge-discharge cycles.
Power tool for making furniture with their own hands
But not a simple one, but with reverse and a speed regulator. It is desirable that it has a power of 500-750 watts and was lightweight, so that the hand is not tired. Naturally, it should fit comfortably in your hand. There are power drills with a quick-action chuck and with a toothed (cam) chuck. Decide for yourself which one to buy. In the first case, it is easy to change the nozzle, the latter will last longer and be more reliable.
Alternative to the drill. Must be light and comfortable. It is better to buy with rechargeable batteries, so that the degree of movement does not depend on the length of the wire. Otherwise, it is better to buy a drill, it is suitable for a larger number of cases. Just like a drill, an electric screwdriver must have a speed regulator and reverse. Optimal if the speed is 400-500 rpm.
The greater the battery capacity, the longer the electric screwdriver will be able to work without recharging. And also, the kit must necessarily go with replacement batteries, which you will use while charging the first. Consider this fact when buying.
This tool will be needed for edging parts. Optimal if it has a power. 450-750 watts. The saw should have a pendulum stroke. The jigsaw should have a speed regulator, be light and comfortable. It is desirable to be able to fix any type of saws in it.
Used for making curved parts, and more precisely to give them smoothness and smoothness. For the home craftsman, the best option would be a band version. It will be convenient to use a tool with a power of 650 watts. The lighter the grinder, the better, but do not forget about the power.
As always, you must have a speed regulator. In addition, it will be good if the tool has a regulator for sanding belt centering. It is better to buy a grinder, the guide rollers which are made of metal. Such a tool will last a long time.
If you do not intend to constantly make furniture with their own hands, then the milling machine is not required. A grinder is quite sufficient. However, we will give you some advice on the choice.
Choose a tool with a power of 1000 watts with a large vertical stroke of the milling machine and the number of revolutions in the range of 10 000-20 000 rpm. It should have a speed regulator.
An iron and an industrial hair dryer
They are suitable for gluing melamine faced edge strips on laminated chipboard. Take the iron, which is not sorry to spoil. As for the hair dryer, it should be industrial, not for drying hair. its optimum power is 1600-1800 watts. Preferably with a heating regulator. Furniture tools are available with and without ceramic inserts. tool will last longer, but you shouldn’t drop it because the ceramic insertion will be broken and the broken pieces can damage the heating coil. If you prefer the second option, work with such a hair dryer so that it does not overheat.
The furniture toolbox is an indispensable accessory for those who regularly face repair, furniture assembly or other household chores. A well chosen suitcase can make almost any job easier, because.
Every self-respecting specialist of finishing or furniture works prefers that all the manipulations he performs are distinguished by professionalism and quality. But what about when you need to make a high-precision fit?
The main purpose of a construction dryer is to heat the surfaces of materials of different structures. In the furniture industry this tool is used, as a rule, to perform the following operations: application of a layer of wax and antiseptic treatment of wooden.
The furniture stapler is a fairly versatile tool, with which you can perform not only the upholstery procedure, but also a number of other construction operations. Today there are several types of such tools.
The construction stapler is especially popular with furniture makers, decorators, as well as decorators. You can actuate this tool with one hand, which is especially useful when working on unstable.
Milling machine (manual) is a tool equipped with an electric motor and intended, as a rule, for processing wooden surfaces. Such equipment is especially popular with professionals involved in furniture making. However, the hand router is also.
An electric drill is a complex multi-tool that should be chosen and purchased with the utmost seriousness. With modern drills, which are widely used in the furniture industry, you can perform work on.
Grinders are a category of power tools designed for grinding and polishing, variously structured materials such as: wood, metal, stone, glass and plastic. With the help of such equipment you can remove.
The electric jigsaw belongs to the class of manual multi-tools with electric drive. Such a device is compact and equipped with a jig saw that makes it possible to perform curved, longitudinal or cross cutting of sheet materials.
When visiting construction stores in search of a screwdriver, most consumers are “confused” by the variety of products presented. Some, turn to a sales consultant for help. However, the best option when buying a screwdriver, will be self.
In fact any serious investment in a tool for assembling furniture you do not have to do. Of course, if you have not decided to immediately open a powerful furniture production. To assemble a single cabinet.
Nowadays, using modern materials and tools, even a woman or a teenager is quite able to make cabinet furniture, without resorting to outside help. Even if you are lacking in creativity.
Necessary tools for furniture making
Of the variety of woodworking tools, the subject of choice remains tools for screwing, drilling, cutting and measuring.
In a set for his own workshop include at the first steps only the necessary. this will be enough to make furniture by yourself:
For quality and uncomplicated work, the list of mains or cordless tools is as follows:
The tool does not have to be cordless electric.
The modern range is widely represented by cordless models.
In the process of gaining skills and moving on to more complex tasks, the list can be gradually expanded.
The drill is an essential component of any furniture-making workshop.
In the first steps it is quite possible to get by with an electric drill with impact function and an electric screwdriver.
Availability of such additional options will save on the purchase of a torch and an electric screwdriver.
If opportunities allow, then the best choice is a cordless electric drill.
Thanks to the impact mechanism to work with hard surfaces, make the assembly and installation of built-in or cabinet furniture.
Speed control makes it possible to change the RPM to suit the required function: drilling in metal or wood, driving screws, pulse or impact function.
An electric screwdriver is also one of the woodworker’s main specialized “tools” for furniture assembly and production.
Functions include installing furniture fittings, screwing and drilling.
Modern models are equipped with a pulse and impact function, and the introduction of battery technology allows you to organize a convenient work process, even in the absence of electricity.
Quick-change chuck allows you to change accessories in a jiffy for various operations.
Two torque speeds are just as useful.
Operating time depends on battery capacity.
When choosing an electric screwdriver, it is worth paying attention to the presence of two batteries. a spare power supply will not interrupt the work during recharging.
Electric jigsaw. this tool allows you to cut out shaped furniture and its parts with high precision.
- sawing blades;
- Making cutouts for built-in appliances;
- Shaped cut or rounded corners, etc.д.
Jigsaws have a mechanism with variable speed and blade tilt.
Special saw blades are used for metal work.
A grinder is intended for scraping and smoothing a surface or cut line.
They are excellent for removing paint, varnish, old paint or for pretreating the substrate before painting.
Measuring tools for self-made furniture:
Hand-held tools for the first experiments in furniture production compare favorably with electric counterparts in cost, but lose out in performance.
However, some models are nowadays indispensable.
It is used for furniture upholstery and the installation of thin walls of fiberboard, plywood, etc.
Accessories and consumables
One important piece of furniture making equipment is a workbench.
The main advantages of wooden furniture
Wood is a great material for creating comfortable and unique furniture. Even the development of technical progress and the appearance of many innovative materials have not made the manufacture of wooden furniture less popular.
Wood, unlike artificial materials, not only does not emit any harmful substances, but on the contrary, creates a favorable microclimate. Natural resins and essential oils and phytoncides released by wood have a curative effect on the body, purify the air in the house.
The main advantages of such furniture include:
- Eco-friendliness. making furniture out of wood brings a special energy to the room, the aura of pure living nature.
- The exceptional strength and longevity of the material. especially in hardwood.
- Easily repaired. over time, damaged parts can be replaced.
- Comfortability. such items are ergonomic, made with the most comfortable designs in mind.
- Variety of design solutions.
- Presentable appearance. not without reason for the manufacture of classic luxury furniture solid wood is used.
Technology of furniture assembly
Any furniture should begin to construct with their own hands from the main frame, that is, with the largest parts, gradually adding small. Example of assembling a bookcase:
- After the preparatory stage, the sides, top and bottom walls of the frame are connected and the diagonal is aligned.
- Then, using self-tapping screws, attach the back of the fiberboard.
- The third step is fixing the shelves. Confirmations guarantee a stronger connection.
- The spots on the outside of the side walls that are damaged by the fasteners can be finished off with color-coordinated plugs.
- Now it’s the turn of additional internal parts, for example, the shelves can have tsargui (additional partitions).
- Last are mounted decorative parts (overlays, facade, etc.) and the edges of the battery. д.).
Beds, kitchen cabinets, closets and other home furniture are assembled according to the same scheme. Generally accepted safety precautions are observed when using electrical equipment that is hazardous.
In order to make furniture yourself, you need to have a desire, a little attentiveness, time and basic knowledge in the field of construction. If everything is done correctly, the result will be an exclusive and functional piece of decor, which will last for many years and will fit perfectly into the interior of the apartment.
The whole process is divided into several stages:
At this stage, sketches of future furniture are drawn, based on the size of the room. At the design stage, determine the best location of the furniture, select the shape, color. After that, choose the materials from which your kitchen, cabinet, or table will be made.
You can design both with an ordinary pencil and a sheet of paper, and using special programs for design on the computer.
Programs for design (the most popular of them):
The furniture blueprint is the map, by which all the details are assembled together. That is why it is necessary to make it first of all self-explanatory, i.e.к. You use it to assemble the product and, according to the drawing, to adhere to all the necessary intervals and indents when assembling.
You can make a working drawing of furniture by hand on a sheet of paper, or using special CAD programs, such as COMPASS 3D or AutoCAD.
Calculation and detailing
At this stage the list of all details is prepared with indication of material, sizes, of which the product will consist of. Then this list is sent for sawing in the workshop, where the work of sawing and gluing of edges is carried out.
Calculation of the cost of
According to the list of details they determine the total amount of material, fittings, fasteners, and summarize the cost of the furniture. Then add to it the price for sawing and gluing the edges and get the total cost of the product.
In fact, when all the dimensions of the parts are correctly calculated, all the indents and clearances are taken into account, it’s just a question of assembling everything and attaching the necessary fittings. If you will use all materials presented on our site then this job will not be harder for you than to assemble Lego toy construction set.