Which side of the disk to put on the angle grinder
How to properly install the grinding disc on the angle grinder. Maintenance of angle grinders (grinders) with their own hands. Tips for repair and maintenance. Personal protection rules for working with dangerous tools
I think the author is most likely the question, “what side to put the disk on the angle grinder (angle grinder)?” which interests a lot of people.
As for the disc replacement algorithm, questions rarely arise, everything is in sight. use special key or a gas key and go. It is also difficult to miss the size of the disk, because the size of the casing is a criterion here. Not unimportant parameter is the number of revolutions specified on the drive, here you need to choose in strict accordance with the manual angle grinder, disk what speed can be operated on it (speed indicated on the disk should be either equal or greater than the spindle speed, but in no case less than!)
I will not say about the cup-shaped discs. there is no other way to put them. Diamond and carbide stone cutting discs have an indication of rotation direction, or a pronounced tooth profile, in addition they have a metal base. and it is metal on both sides.
And here in what direction to put a label of a cutting disk at installation, not everyone knows. outward or to the gearbox.
Some people are just convinced that there is no difference. But it is not so. The disc is always placed with the label facing out. Yes, someone will say that the direction of disc rotation is not regulated by a strictly drawn arrow, this arrow is almost always absent, at least on abrasive discs (cut-off discs), and he will be right too.
This is not the case here, an arrow is not needed, if only by a few of the following logical conclusions.
There is a wide metal washer on the label side. That’s exactly what it should be facing the moving flange nut, that is outward (even if the disc is unlabeled). If the disc jams and breaks, the sliding nut will be easier to unscrew if it slides on the metal washer. If you put the disc the other way around (with the washer facing the gearbox) then the sliding outer nut will be very difficult to unscrew on the abrasive part.
Because of this seemingly obvious thing, the structure of some cut-off discs is done. They are less prone to fracture (and wear) if installed correctly. with the label facing outward (and therefore a wide washer towards the nut being clamped and not towards the gearbox)
P.S. Well, of course, to all the above, to work must be armed with a suit of thick cloth (I have for this purpose a tarpaulin apron) and safety glasses!
What you need to use to install the disk
The operation is quite simple and will not take more than a few minutes, if you choose the right guide. But in order to perform this kind of work, it is necessary to adhere to the basic rules, and use a special tool.
- A special wrench that can be used to unscrew the nut that holds it to the angle grinder. It comes with the equipment, and in case of loss the key can be bought in a construction store.
- The abrasive itself to replace the old.
- In some cases, you have to use a chisel or other similar hard object. This tool will be needed if the cutting disc has been jammed during work. In such a situation, there is nothing left but to crush it to make a replacement. Abrasive residue can get into the gap, so you need to remove them so that the new disc does not interfere with the splinters. In most cases, you do not need to use these tools, but it is desirable that they are always near.
Having decided on the tools that will be needed for the replacement, you can proceed directly to the installation:
- There is a metal ring on top of the abrasive to hold it in place. The ring has two holes and the key has two pins that match the dimensions.
- The wrench should be put on top, in the holes of the ring, and turn counterclockwise. If the drive has not been changed for a long time, the ring may stick (not move from the operator’s effort). In such case, wrench should be lengthened by any pipe and try again to untighten the ring.
- Having removed the old abrasive, it is necessary to put the new one in the socket. Place the metal ring on top and turn it clockwise with the wrench. It is desirable to press the key again to check whether the abrasive is locked.
Important! Do not apply too much force when tightening, otherwise there is a risk of damaging the disc wheel.
How to remove it?
Discs, especially those designed for cutting, quickly “burn out” and have to be replaced.
It would not be out of place to remind you once again about the need to disconnect the “angle grinder” from the mains. It is necessary to work with fast rotating parts and it is better to secure yourself.
If you need to replace the worn disk, you must perform a number of simple operations.
- The disk is fastened to the spindle with a threaded nut. The set of any angle grinder has a special wrench, which horns have pins that hook into the holes of the flange.
- The spindle is secured by a special button, the cotter pin of which, when pressed, enters into the hole in the gearbox, thus securing it. Pressing the button with the right hand, at the same time with the left hand you need to unscrew the nut fixing the wrench. If the nut has moved from its place, it is unscrewed by hand. That’s all, now the disk can be removed.
- It could happen that for some reason there is no wrench handy. What to do? The easiest way out is to stop working. But, this, as they say, is not our method. It is also possible to unscrew the clamping nut of an “angle grinder” without a wrench. A pipe (gas) spanner is often used for this. There is a device on the wrench that loosens it. It is necessary to clamp the nut and, having fixed the gearbox of the “angle grinder” with the button, move it out of place. Then it can be unscrewed by hand.
- nut has holes for fixing it with pins on the wrench horns, you can unscrew it by tapping with a hammer on a chisel or bar inserted in the hole.
- Sometimes you can undo the nut by simply tapping on its edge with a hammer in the direction of torsion. However, in this case the flange can be damaged, especially the holes for the wrench pins, then it may be impossible to use a spanner for such a nut.
- A nail to make a spanner can work quite well. It is better to choose a large nail, from 100 mm. Use a hammer and pliers to give the nail a U-shape. A hacksaw or chisel cuts the nail point and nail head. An improvised wrench can be used to try and loosen the nut. It is possible to bend the ends of such a spanner and turn it into a semblance of an open-end wrench, but this would be very labor-consuming. It is also possible to insert any goal, such as a hammer or other nail, into the arc formed by a bent nail.
The main difference between the two sides of the circle
Two surfaces are clearly distinguishable on any cutting wheel. One of them (back) is single-colored, formed by an abrasive material. The second (front) side has a label with basic information about the characteristics of the disk. But the main difference between the two surfaces is that they both have a metal ring on the front side.
The metal washer (ring) is designed to protect the integrity of the disk when it is tightened by the moving flange nut and also to increase the support surface area. In addition, the metal washer does not allow “stick” cutting wheel to the surface of the nut, which greatly facilitates the process of its replacement.
What is needed for the installation of the disk?
Installing the disk on an angle grinder is usually a fairly simple process in which a few rules must be followed. In order to perform it, you need to arm yourself with the appropriate tool. a wrench, which will be needed to unscrew the nut. The next step after unscrewing it, will be the replacement of the disc angle grinder or its primary installation. If it happens that the disc is jammed in the angle grinder, to remove it will have to crush and remove the remnants from the gap between the supporting flange and nut with a flat screwdriver or chisel.
Which side to put the cutting disc may depend on several factors. First, if the disc is not flat, then you can only put it in one way and the question disappears by itself. Secondly, if the circle is still flat, you can be guided by the label. if the angle grinder turns from itself, it is installed with the label inside, if on itself, then, respectively, outside. If this principle is not followed, you can expect undesirable results. disk breakage in the process of sawing or simply its rapid wear.
As for the direction in which the disc on the angle grinder rotates, it is primarily a question of safety. It is believed that concrete should be cut in the direction of the blade rotation or towards yourself. The ideal position would be for the sparks to fly to the side to the left of the person working with the tool. If this is not possible, another position can be used where the shear of sparks is directed downwards. In any case, a situation where sparks fly away from the user should not be allowed, because if the disc jams sharply, the angle grinder will be directed in his direction.
In other words, it is extremely unsafe to cut materials against the direction of rotation of the disc or away from yourself, because in the case of a wedge, there is a sharp throw of the angle grinder in the direction of the person working. By the way, if you have additional questions about how to install the disk on the angle grinder, you can also view training videos, which are now more than enough on the Internet.
If you still have questions or need advice on how to change and install the discs, just leave an application on the website or call the listed contact phone number and our experts will tell you how to act correctly. See diamond discs for our complete range of diamond discs.
Cutting discs for angle grinder in turn have their own subspecies, such as:
The purpose of each type of disc usually corresponds to its name.
- The petal disc is made of emery paper. Its main purpose is the elimination of existing coatings, such as old paint, primer or a layer of paint coating. Woodworking is also polished with these types of discs.
- Wire grinding discs are used by craftsmen to remove rust. It can also be used to remove other types of persistent dirt.
- Diamond discs are used for stone polishing.
- Disc-shaped discs are made of plastic or rubber and are used for polishing metal surfaces.
Please note: most discs work with a special paste or grease, which contains the finest grinding abrasives. They are mainly used for sanding surfaces, such as auto body parts.
What is the difference between the disc sides
The first side does not have any markings, markings or images. On the second side of the blade is the brand name of the tool manufacturer. Can also be specified its parameters and crimp ring of metal.
The crimp ring increases the support area and the crimp nut. This not only distributes the load on the disk evenly, but also guarantees the integrity of the disk when tightening the crimp nut. It is also important that the retaining ring protects the clamping nut and the abrasive surface from boiling over.
A bit of theory
All cutting-off wheels for this tool are designed for a very specific rotational speed. The closer to the spindle, the higher the speed:
- at a diameter of 115-125 mm. 10000-11000 rpm;
- increasing the diameter to 150-180 mm lowers it to 8000-8500 rpm;
- large diameter on high-powered angle grinders operate at speeds around 6000-6700 rpm.
If the speeds are inconsistent, increased vibration may be transmitted to the tool. In this case, the pancakes break or crumble. Laboratory tests have shown that the rotation of the cutting edge should be less than 80 m/s.
What to do if the angle grinder is jammed?
Everyone, who has had intensive work experience with the angle grinder must have faced such a situation at least once.
Usually, it happens if the disc is jammed between the parts, it stops or breaks, and the angle grinder motor continues to rotate and thus tightens the nut irreversibly.
So what you can do if the disc on the angle grinder is jammed?
Every craftsman has his own secrets.Especially for you, we have learned a few of them and now we will share the most common ways out of the situation.
Remove the disk from the angle grinder
First, find out which way to unscrew the nut.
The flange must always be turned in the direction of rotation of the disc.
For this kind of work you will need either two wrenches or two clamps.
Here’s what to do: destroy the remnants of the disk, use one wrench to fix the washer behind the disk, the other to unscrew the flange.
Remove the disk from the angle grinder
This method involves the use of the famous grease VD-40.
It’s probably like duct tape, applicable in all cases of life.
You need to spray the flange, wait about 5 minutes and try to unscrew it with a wrench.
Remove the disk from the angle grinder
This method is used in extreme cases.
When no other methods help, you can try to saw the flange with a tool like a hacksaw for metal, and then buy a new one in a specialized store.