Why is a hacksaw so noisy?. a little about safety
How to get the neighbor to turn off the hammers, or the permissible noise level when repairing apartments
When carrying out noisy repair and construction work is required to take into account:
What and how it makes noise
First, let’s get the terminology straight. Every sound, including noise in simple terms, is the result of changes in air pressure. These changes cause our eardrum to vibrate, which we can feel and interpret. The difference between noise and any other sound is in our perception and (in some cases) physiological reaction. Noise causes irritation to the hearing organs and can even be harmful in some cases.
The permissible noise level according to sanitary regulations is 55 dB during the day and 45 dB at night. In other words, this level of noise, even after prolonged exposure, is not harmful to our hearing. Sound that exceeds 100 decibels can cause serious harm to humans and even lead to gradual hearing loss with prolonged exposure.
Now we can calculate how much damage we do to our health even just by being at home or doing our daily chores:
- Approximately 30 dB is produced by the ticking of a wall clock
- At the same point the cooling system cooler is noisy. In this table you can see that the noisiest video card almost approaches 40 dB
- Normal human speech gives 40 dB (Here we come to the “night mark”), where is also the noise from the refrigerator
- About here is the level of noise from overhead stomping (and also the most popular “rolling of a big metal ball” sound). But it all depends on the strength of the stomping and noise isolation
- Flushing water in the toilet is about 60 dB
- Shouting or laughing at a distance of 1 meter gives 75 dB (i.e. already above the sanitary norm for the day)
- At about 80 dB begins the level of noise from the peorator (depending on the model, as well as the thickness of the walls and soundproofing in the house, it can reach up to 100 decibels), and SDS exceed this threshold
- If the neighbor listens to music very loudly, the wall thickness may not be enough to dampen the sound to comfortable sanitary standards
- The vacuum cleaner makes 80 dB, as much as the average motorcycle
- Dog barking starts at this level and can reach up to 130 dB. One can only be glad that the neighbor-dogger did not get a howler, which is the loudest animal living on land. Its howls can be heard up to 5 km away
- Inside the subway car we are attacked by 95 dB (approaching a level, potentially dangerous to health)
- The maximum sound of an ordinary player is approximately 115 dB
- Then there are sounds we do not often hear at everyday level: a helicopter taking off, an airplane, a rocket, etc.д. In a city, our ears are assaulted by a 120 dB blast from a jackhammer. At 135 dB you can get a concussion, and even higher. a shock, an injury up to rupture of the eardrum
When you start examining a howler, you usually start with the power cord and plug. To start with, you only need to look at it. For a more accurate diagnosis use an automotive or household ammeter or multimeter.
If the fault in the cord is detected, it is replaced as a whole, picking up or buying a new one, with wiring section corresponding to the power consumption of the instrument.
Testing my new Hacksaw
If it was found that the cord is not damaged, then proceed to the diagnostics of the internal device of the instrument. The main faults of the peorator tool are divided into:
Important. Before you open the body of the device with your own hands, it is recommended to prepare in advance the workplace and the necessary tools for diagnosis and repair. screwdrivers or multifunctional electric screwdriver, pliers and pliers, rubber hammer, vise and keys for different diameter nuts, magnet, kit for cleaning and lubrication.
Malfunctions in the mechanical part
If you can hear the sound of the rotation of the motor, and the device does not perform the functions. it means that the problems are observed in the work of the mechanical “stuffing” of the tool:
- The impact is not transmitted to the chuck or nozzle, i.e.е. The chuck has stopped beating and no longer beats;
- The rotation of the axis is blocked;
- chisels, but does not spin;
- only works in one position;
- the nozzle slips in the chuck jaws or, conversely, jams after operation.
Reference. These mechanical problems indicate a malfunction in the chuck mechanism. If the grinding and extraneous sounds come from inside the housing, you will have to disassemble the entire tool and examine the transmission units to identify and fix the problem.
When the appliance is plugged in but the motor does not respond when the starter button is pressed or begins to run erratically, overheating or making strange noises, there may be a malfunction in the power unit:
- A buzzing sound is heard but the rotor axle does not rotate;
- there is crackling and sparks on the graphite brushes
- The housing heats up or melts, and you can smell something burning inside;
- does not turn on;
- When the tool rotates, it emits acrid fumes and black smoke.
In order to repair a power unit, the craftsman is required to carefully observe the safety. Before removing the shroud and beginning to dismantle the propulsion components, the engine must be completely de-energized and checked for any residual voltage.
How many decibels does a peorator produce?
the onlooker hears a rumble when a moving object (an airplane, a shell, or a bullet) has rumbled past in a short time. For example, when firing a Mosin rifle, with a standard cartridge, at a kilometer distance. the sound of the shot comes in about two seconds after the arrival of the bullet and its hitting the imaginary target. At subsonic speeds, by contrast. noise (rustling, whistling, howling of a mine or otherwise a projectile) is approached at first, and at the end. its source.
For fire alarms: the level of sound pressure of the useful audio signal provided by the siren must be two or more than 75 dBA away from the native 3 m from the siren not more than 120 dba in any point of the protected premises (p.3.14 NPB 104-03).
Peorator design and mechanism
Unlike a drill, the rotary drum has a stronger impact function, which gives it a higher value in situations that require a significant mechanical impact on the material to be worked.
It is achieved by design features of the device. The device is equipped with an independent mechanism for generating a powerful pneumatic impact of the working tool, and this ability frees the craftsman from using physical force when drilling and chiselling in concrete and stone.
Perforator mechanism in sectional view
The conversion of the rotary motion of the electric motor into a translational oscillation of the percussion unit is made possible by creating compression between the pistons. This movement is transmitted to the striker. The beater, made of high-strength steel, in turn sends the energy of compressed air directly to the working tool. a drill, chisel or shovel. This device allows increasing the power of the blow to a maximum of 20 kJ of destructive force.
Peorator with the vertical motor arrangement (“barrel”)
Depending on the location of the motor, there are drill and barrel types of peorators.
- The first type of devices is similar to a drill, in which the motor is located in one axis with the drill.
- The second type of peorator has the engine installed perpendicularly to the drilling axis.
When repairing an electric torch there is often a need to disassemble it. But before you start, you need to make sure that the mechanical part is where the problem is. Let’s see in detail what kinds of problems are encountered and how they can be repaired
Untimely maintenance, low-quality repair, operation of the torch in inappropriate modes may lead to the fact that any part of the mechanism may break down. To determine if there are any signs of damage to the gearbox, you must first disassemble and wash the parts and then carefully inspect them.
Any defective parts must be replaced with new parts. Then reassemble the gearbox and, of course, grease it. By the way, the lubricant grade, should be specified in the instruction manual.
If the nozzle does not enter the operating position, the cause is most likely in the cartridge. To eliminate this defect there is no need to disassemble the tool. If you can’t insert the bit, there is usually debris in the chuck.
The mode selector is defective
To determine faults in the change-over mechanism, the operator still has to be disassembled. In principle, the defect can be detected by a thorough inspection of the change-over mechanism.
The Sturm geared motor doesn’t chisel
The universal rotary-impact hammering tool, aka peorator, is used by construction crews, electricians, and repairmen. They are also used in the home workshop.
Like other electrical appliances, the peorator
sometimes breaks. To take it to a service center and leave a certain amount of money, or to take advice and repair the tool on their own. everyone decides for himself. If the decision to repair the peorator at home is made. to begin with, you should study the features of its device and tips of masters on diagnosis and repair.
Repair of peorator with your own hands
The main parts of the peorator.
To repair the peorator you may need the following tools and materials:
If you are more or less familiar with the construction of the pen, it will allow you to quickly find a breakdown and fix it with minimal financial investment. Usually the repair of this tool comes down to the replacement of the failed part:
It should be noted that it is much easier to repair a domestic level peorator than a professional one. But breakdowns of more serious equipment can be quite complicated, so it is better to entrust their elimination to specialists.
Sometimes it happens that when you turn on the torch, the electric motor does not start. Damage to the power cord is usually the cause of such a breakdown. It is not uncommon for the stator or rotor to bend at the point of penetration into the tool body.
To solve this problem, you should disassemble the motor and use a tester to test the 2 wires of the cable. If a breakage is detected in any place, the power cord should be replaced with a new one. It is recommended not to make twisting, because it is likely that the cable in this place again will break after a while.
If the motor does not reach full speed when running or if you hear a crackling noise and a burning smell, it may be due to wear of the brushes. In this case, the brushes should be replaced. For this purpose it is necessary to disassemble the torch, take out worn brushes and put new ones in their place. Another cause of strong sparking brushes can be a breakdown in the winding of the stator or rotor. In this case the defective parts should also be replaced.
On weekends, especially Sundays, there are usually more noise complaints than on weekdays, because most people are resting at home at that time. By law, neighbors can make the same kind of noise on weekends, from seven in the morning until eleven at night, with some modifications depending on the region. Exceptions are construction work associated with weekends.
Previously, there were rules that did not distinguish between weekdays and weekends, that is, you can start drilling walls and hammers on Saturday, Sunday from 9 am to 7 pm.
But according to a recent change in the law, any noisy repair work in the apartment building on weekends is prohibited at all. A similar ban applies on public holidays.
If you violate this rule, you will be issued a warning to stop the noise-causing activity, otherwise you will have to pay a fine.
How to use a hacksaw
While this amendment may not be very convenient for those who have no other time for repairs besides work or weekends, the violation of the law would be the same for all. In exceptional cases you can try to agree with the neighbors, but in this case it is better to get their written consent to work on weekends.